St. Mary’s County Historical Society
  • Thomas Edward "Ed" Stokel, Sr., 93, Leonardtown, MD, passed away on Sunday, May 20, 2018 at MedStar St. Mary's Hospice House in Callaway MD.He was born on Marh 20, 1925 to the late Edward John Stokel and Eloise Maria Abell Stokel.  Ed graduated from Margaret Brent High School in 1942.  In 1943, he joined the U.S. Navy during WWII and proudly served his country as an aviation radioman and combat air crewman, surviving three plane crashes, and received an honorable discharge.  On September 29, 1944, he married his beloved wife, Agatha Teresa Stokel in Hutchinson, KS.  Together they celebrated over 66 wonderful years of marriage until her passing in November 2010.  In 1946, he joined the Patuxent Naval Air Station Fire Department as a firefighter and was later promoted to Engineer and then Safety Officer.  He later taught Supervisory Management Training at the Naval Air Test Center.  He retired with a total of 43 years of government service.  His hobbies included art, county history and archaeology.  He was a charter member of the St. Mary's County Historical Society and the Maryland Archaeological Society.  He designed and drew the official County seals for St. Mary's, Calvert, Prince George's, and Queen Anne's counties.  He also spent many hours volunteering within the community, as a first aid instructor, a lecturer, and a lay teacher in a confraternity of Christian Doctrine.  He received a Letter of Commendation from the Archdiocese of Washington, DC, for 70 years of dedicated service to St. Aloysius Catholic Church, Leonardtown.  Ed is survived by this children: Thomas Stokel, Jr., Jeanne Marsh (George), Joyce Stokel, Laura Ferris (Tom), Monica Clements (Bill), Marian Stokel, Rita Humphrey (Jay), Mary Underwood (Warren), Clara Spalding and Mark Stokel (Tracy).  He also leaves 14 grandchildren and many great grandchildren.  In addition to his parents, he is also predeceased by his wife and sister, Katherine Stokel.  
  • Eugene James Guazzo, M.D., died Sunday, April 8, 2018 at 88 years of age at St. Mary's Hospice House with his wife, Shelby Palmer Guazzo, at his bedside.  In 1968, Dr. & Mrs. Guazzo moved to St. Mary's County.  They had been encouraged by St. Mary's physician, Dr. J. Roy Guyther, to come and see the rural, family-oriented communities that made up the county.  They settled down to work and raise their family, first at Cremona Farm and later at their own farm in Maddox.  Before his retirement in 2008, Dr. Guazzo was Board Certified in Family Medicine and a family physician for 40 years at his office in Chaptico.  After his retirement, Dr. Guazzo enjoyed working as a substitute teacher for the county school system  They were married for 56 years.  Dr. Guazzo was predeceased by his parents, Eugene Camillo Guazzo and Augustina Pivano Guazzo, and his sister, Lucille K. Schusler.  In addition to his wife, he is survived by his four children: Eugene Tai Guazzo (Cheri) of Riverdale CA; John Palmer Guazzo (Caroline) of Falls Church VA; Dante Edward Guazzo 2nd (Emine) of San Francisco CA; and Shelby Smith Guzazzo (David Mattis) of Denver, CO.  There are six grandchildren: Samantha and Juliette Guazzo, Leyla Grace and Indigo Rose Guazzo, and Dorian, John and Mila Shelby Mattis.  He is also survived by his niece, Jeanne Schusler Ten Broeck and her son, David W. Ten Broeck (Heather) all of Baltimore MD.  Dr. Guazzo graduated from Auburn University. AL, with a BS in Education and a MS in Psychology.  He received his Doctor of Medicine degree from Duke University School of Medicine, Durham, NC.  His post graduate training was at Hunterdon Medical Center, Fleming, NJ, followed by a fellowship at Harvard University, Boston, MA.  Dr. Guazzo supported his professional organizations, the American Medical Association and the Medical and Chirurgical Faculty of Maryland.  For many years,he enjoyed being a member of the Maryland State Medical Ethics Commission. He was a Lieutenant in the U.S. Navy and is a disabled Korean War veteran, but resigned his commission to enter medical school.  His last assignment was with the U.S. Navy Aircraft Squadron VW4, known as the Hurricane Hunters. Dr. Guazzo took great pleausre in sailing small boats on the rivers and the Bay around our county and riding to hounds wih the De La Brooke Foxhounds W Hunt.  As the Master of the Hunt he secured the Hunt's national registration with the Masters of Foxhounds Association of America.  He was a member of the Southern Maryland Society, the Vansville Farmers Club, the St. Mary's County Farm Bureau, the St. Mary's Riding Club and the St. Mary's River Yacht Club.  He was one of hte original members of the St Clements Hundred and a longtime supporter of the St. Mary's County Historical Society as well as the Friends of the St.Clement's Island Piney Point Museums.  He was a member of the Disabled American Veterans and the American Legion Post 221.  Growing up as a boy in the City of Orange, NJ, Dr. Guazzo joined the Boy Scouts of America.  He was always thankful for the leadershp training and of learning to set schievable goals so early in life.  He achieved the rank of Eagle Scout and continued to support the B.S.A. throughout his life.  Dr. Guazzo was a member and lay reader first at All Faith Episcopal Church, Mechanicsville, MD, and later at Christ Episcopal Church, Chaptico.  In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to the Hospice House of St. Mary's, PO Box 625, Leonardtown, MD 20650 or the St. Mary's County Historical Society, PO Box 212, Leonardtown, MD.