Jobs & Volunteer Opportunities
There are no current job opportunities. But you can always spend time with us as a volunteer!
The rewards for volunteering at the St Mary's County Historical Society are many. Our volunteers learn new skills and form new friendships. We seek individuals with an interest in history, geneaology, research - just about anything to help us discover and inform the public about the people, places, and history of St Mary's County. Volunteers do not have to live in Southern Maryland to participate.
We depend on the generostiy and diverse talents of our volunteers and greatly appreciate the many hours they so graciously donate. Every holiday season, the Society hosts a luncheon to recognize our outstanding volunteers. Come join us!
Board of Directors' Committee Members - The Board of Directors is looking for members and friends to serve on any of the following committees: Buildings & Grounds, Development, Finance, Membership, Program, Public Relations, Research & Collections, Technology, and Volunteers. If you're interested, let our Executive Director know by clicking on his link at the bottom of the page.
– Our Research Center and Library continues to expand with new acquisitions for the collections, with new subject file material, and other items. We need volunteers interested in identifying books and other materials for future purchase, i.e., collections development, as well as volunteers to provide technical services support, e.g., preparation of new materials, filing, organizing, etc. We currently have three outstanding volunteers who can professionally train new recruits. If you're interested in volunteering in our Research Center, please contact us by clicking on this link.
- We need individuals who have an interest in archival material and enjoy preparing materials for storage, and documenting and processing our treasures. We are also preparing an inventory of the artifacts in Tudor Hall and the Old Jail that will require photography assistance as well as documentation. Click on this link
and let us know what you can do!
– Our Research Center continues to receive inquiries from researchers interested in county families. We are in need of individuals who love genealogical research who can work at home or in Tudor Hall. Send us an email by clicking on this link
– Our Chronicles editor is in need of articles that would continue to share research and stories about the county and its rich history. If you would like to contribute an article on the people, places, or history of St Mary's County, click here
to let us know.
– Our Chronicles has not been subject indexed since 2001. Issues could be sent to your home for indexing purposes. Click here
if you're interested.
IT Professionals – We are in need of individuals who love web development and/or would love digitizing archival and historical treasures from our collections. If you're interested, let our Executive Director know by clicking on his link at the bottom of the page.
Exhibit Specialists – We would like to do more and smaller exhibits throughout the year. These exhibits do not have to be elaborate but they have to tell a story with wonderful pictures, interesting storyboards, that portray county history and pique interest in further research.
Photographers – We are in need of volunteer photographers who can regularly take pictures of Tudor Hall and the Old Jail throughout the year. These photographs, appropriately captioned, would appear in Society tourism literature, the Chronicles, newspaper articles, etc. As mentioned under Archivists above, we also need photographers to capture individual artifacts in digital file format. If you're interested, let our Executive Director know by clicking on his link at the bottom of the page.
Maintenance of Properties – Historic properties provide challenges to non-profit historical societies. There are specific standards for care outlined by the Maryland Historical Trust and national historic preservation organizations. At this time, we only need to develop an On-Call list in the event there are small, approved projects that can be done under preservation guidelines. If you're interested, let our Executive Director know by clicking on his link at the bottom of the page.
Administrative Assistance – Office staff need assistance on a regular basis with member mailings. We need to develop an On-Call list.
Strong Backs – We need to develop an On-Call list when something needs doing that is beyond staff capability. This is a great community service opportunity for youth. If you're interested, let our Executive Director know by clicking on his link at the bottom of the page.
If you would like to volunteer for these rewarding opportunities, please email the Executive Director
or call 301.475.2467.